Thursday, May 12, 2005

Broadcast flag article

A week ago I blogged about the recent court ruling that struck down the FCC's mandate that a piece of code or "flag" be attached to all over-the-air digital content, and that all new digital receivers would have to be able to recognize and comply with this flag. Well, here's the article I mentioned that was published right before that about the effects of the broadcast flag. (It was in PC World, not Wired, my bad). FYI.

The article was entitled:
The FCC's new broadcast flag will restrict your ability to copy and share your favorite digital television shows and movies."

Laurianne McLaughlin
From the June 2005 issue of PC World magazine
Posted Monday, May 02, 2005

I don't mean to be cavalier in making this statement, but I think I have a reasonable fear that digital rights managment schemes will take the "fair use" out of everything that's on a computer. Hopefully, this summer I'll be able to dive into some of Lawrence Lessig's other books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home